Bishop Ernest T. Dixon, Jr. Clinic
Named after Bishop Ernest Thomas Dixon, Jr. – the first African-American elected as Bishop by the eight-state South Central Jurisdiction of The United Methodist Church – the Bishop Ernest T. Dixon, Jr. Clinic is rooted in faith and service to all. The clinic's namesake led a life of exemplary scholarship and service, graduating from Drew Theological Seminary to become ordained as a deacon at the Tuskegee Institute. Bishop Dixon grew up on the Eastside of San Antonio and graduated from Wheatley High School in 1939. He served eight years as an episcopal leader in the Kansas area and 12 years in the San Antonio area before he retired in 1992, where he subsequently made his home. Known as a leader in the community, Bishop Dixon served on many boards including Methodist Healthcare Ministries'.
In 1997, Methodist Healthcare Ministries founded the Bishop Ernest T. Dixon, Jr. Clinic and for nearly 20 years, the clinic operated at its 1954 E. Houston St. location on San Antonio's Eastside. In 2017, Methodist Healthcare Ministries announced the relocation of the Bishop Ernest T. Dixon, Jr. Clinic to 4212 E. Southcross on San Antonio's Southeast side, a 20-acre property just six-and-a-half miles from its former location.
Like its namesake, the clinic has become a reliable source for quality, compassionate care for the underserved in San Antonio.
Bishop Ernest T. Dixon, Jr. Clinic is expected to open late 2017.