Related video: 25 years of “Serving Humanity to Honor God”
Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, Inc. is a private, faith-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to creating access to health care for uninsured and low-income families through direct services, community partnerships and strategic grant-making in 74 counties across South Texas.
Building partnerships through collaboration is a key objective of Methodist Healthcare Ministries’ mission. Using an asset-based and client-centered approach, Methodist Healthcare Ministries’ community engagement efforts seek to champion and empower the community voice. With a focus on developing long-lasting, trusting relationships, Methodist Healthcare Ministries connects communities to identify health issues and design collaborative, community-driven solutions. Methodist Healthcare Ministries takes a community-wide, or regional, approach to health improvement with intentional investments in each region—a strategy Methodist Healthcare Ministries refers to as regionalization. Through community engagement, Methodist Healthcare Ministries works to infuse health equity principles by highlighting the social determinants of health—the unique social and physical conditions in which community members live, learn, work, play and pray—that are present in its service region to improve health for all.
Methodist Healthcare Ministries also works with similarly focused organizations and state government in developing more socially conscious public policy. The purpose is to change legislative perspectives and policies so that the root of the problems of the underserved is addressed for the long term.
In 1955, the Southwest Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church chartered the Southwest Texas Methodist Hospital; it opened in 1963. Its purpose was to deliver and promote improved health care as well as enhance access to health care with concern to include those least served. From this charter and that first hospital, Methodist Healthcare System was formed in 1995 and today is the largest healthcare provider in San Antonio and 24 surrounding counties. Since 1995, in partnership with HCA Healthcare, Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, Inc. has retained one-half ownership of the Methodist Healthcare System and provides the local governance to ensure that the needs of the greater community are served.
The mission of Methodist Healthcare Ministries is:
“Serving Humanity to Honor God”
This mission includes Methodist Healthcare Ministries’ one-half ownership of the Methodist Healthcare System – the largest healthcare system in South Texas. This creates a unique avenue to ensure the Methodist Healthcare System continues to be a benefit to the community by providing quality care to all and charitable care when needed, and it provides revenue to Methodist Healthcare Ministries for its programs.
Methodist Healthcare Ministries’ “20/20 Vision” Strategic Plan deepens the organization’s roots in improving wellness of the least served through the following:
Strategic Focus: Advancing Health Equity to create fair and just opportunities for every person to reach their full potential for health and life and contribute to that of others.
- Resilient Families: Foster the development of empowered and resilient individuals and families such that they are physically, mentally, socially and spiritually healthy and thriving throughout their lives.
- Thriving Communities: Contribute to overall health and well-being of communities through long-term and sustainable collaboration and developing Communities of Solution that foster equitable access and opportunity for all.
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries understands that health and wellness begin long before individuals seek clinical care and prioritizes the importance of the social determinants of health and access to quality resources and care as driving factors for the well-being of individuals, families and communities throughout their lives;
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries realizes achievement of improved health and well-being of the people and communities it serves is a long-term commitment that requires intentional efforts focused on health equity;
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries seeks to balance its work for the least served by providing the best quality clinical care, connecting individuals and families to needed resources, and working with communities to improve their health and well-being;
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries recognizes it can’t address the needs of every community alone, but it can support, convene, and/or partner with others engaged in and/or leading efforts to improve community health and well-being;
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries builds relationships with churches and faith communities of all denominations to advance the health and well-being of families and whole communities;
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries partners with people with lived experiences to co-design, co-create and co-evaluate changes that improve health and well-being of families and communities;
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries supports place-based efforts to strengthen underserved communities;
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries sustains a culture of continuous improvement and learning where innovation is welcomed, practiced, tested, and implemented
Financial Statements and Tax Returns